Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

novel times updates!

Whew! So today I have written over 5,000 words on Nora Paranormal, a novel that I started what feels like a zillion years ago but was probably really more like two years ago. Or maybe just one. I got ~27,000 words in, and felt trapped, and shelved it, and just got back to it today with some fresh ideas. Now we're at 32,000 words and still going! I plan to write until my husband comes home, which unfortunately may not be for several more hours.

Every so often I have this terrible guilt about my writing. I feel like writing is compulsive for me: if I'm not writing something or reading something, I don't know what to do with myself, it seems. Sometimes I feel really bad because there are dishes in the sink, or the bed's not made, or the floor hasn't been vacuumed in a while, and I'm writing.

But when I've prayed about it, amazing things have happened that make me believe that this is okay--not that I'm letting my housekeeping slack, but that my heart is in writing and I write so much. Sometimes I forget about those miracles in my life, but today I remembered them.

Who knows. Maybe all these silly novels will get published someday; maybe not. But these stories are alive in me and I have to get them out. And for now, I think that's an okay use of my time.

The end.




1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes I feel really bad because there are dishes in the sink, or the bed's not made, or the floor hasn't been vacuumed in a while, and I'm writing."

    This is the life of a writer. Almost every writer could say those exact words- I know I could! But you're right that it's a blessing to have such a passion for writing, and a dedication to making the words come out on the page. Even if it means the house is less than spotless. :P

    ReplyDelete