Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Buck.

Nathaniel has a favorite word. Unfortunately, no one has any idea what it means.

The word is "buck." No, it does not mean "book." Here's how a typical buck-conversation goes:

Nathaniel, coming up to me and getting my attention: Buck.

Me: You want a book?

Nathaniel: *shakes head* Buck.

Me: You want to read a book?

Nathaniel: *shakes head, looks around the room for ideas of how to explain what he wants* Bu-u-u-u-ck. Buck. Buck. *with hand gestures*

Me: You want... to eat food?

[insert him saying "Buck" 25 times while I make random guesses and he shakes his head like I'm an idiot, over and over again]

Nathaniel: Buck! Buck!

Me: You... want to go to Mamie's house?

Nathaniel: *nods like I'm the stupidest person he knows and why did it take me so long, anyway??*

~~

Unfortunately, it doesn't always mean "take me to Mamie's house." This morning he came down for breakfast, and sat in his seat, and pointed out the door saying "Buck! Buck!" Who knows??

Two days ago, my sister and her fiance took Nathaniel out on a walk. As it turned out, the fiance was wearing a shirt with an actual buck on it--like a male deer. They were teaching Nathaniel words as they walked, and they pointed to Elliot's shirt and said, "Buck!"

And he got SO excited--"Buck! Buck!"

But I'm pretty sure that's not what he means when he says the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment