Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

curing fungal infections with essential oils

My little baby had a horrible rash in her skin folds: her neck skin, and the little folds of her baby fat. The creases were all bright red and stinky. I kept putting Balmex on the skin, and then Vaseline and cornstarch. None of that helped. It didn't dry the skin, didn't do anything. Lame.

Fortunately, after a few weeks, we were due for her 2-month appointment, so I was able to ask her pediatrician about the issue. The doctor said it was likely a fungal infection and recommended some kind of anti-fungal cream to treat it.

Well, guess how interested I was in buying an anti-fungal cream? Um, about 0%. I remembered that tea tree oil is supposed to be anti-fungal, so I came home and whipped something up.

My Awesome Natural Anti-Fungal Rub
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp tea tree oil
1/4 tsp lavender oil
3 drops lemon oil

I don't remember why I added the lemon oil.

It's cold here, so I had to melt the coconut oil over a burner. Then I just mixed in the other ingredients and poured it into a container.

Totally worked.

I'm just using it as an all-over body lotion for her. Today it occurred to me that I'd read about cradle cap potentially being a fungal infection--apparently no one knows what cradle cap is or why babies get it? weird--so I think I'll try it on her cradle cap next.

Takeaway: I'm glad I had my essential oils on hand to treat my kid's fungal infection. It worked like a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment