Baby is 9 months old, as of Friday. Today was his doctor's appointment. He is officially 19 lbs 10 oz, and 29.5 inches long. That puts him in the 35th percentile for weight, but the 85th percentile for length. When the nurse was first measuring him, she said that he was at the 90th percentile, then hemmed and hawed and said it was really between 85 and 90, and made his official chart say 85th.
Either way: our baby is long and skinny.
Remember that time he was born at the 98+ percentile for weight? I do!
Now he is so skinny you wouldn't know it.
But he still had fat creases on his baby thighs, so I'm not worried about him being underweight or anything.
I told the doc about Nathaniel's weird reactions he gets to food; she ordered some bloodwork to be done. I have to take him to the lab and I'm not sure when that will happen, but after I do that, we'll have the results the following week.
As far as milestones, Nathaniel is:
- crawling
- cruising
- standing
- clapping
- blabbing
- playing peekaboo
- imitating people
He's a super fun kid. Glad we had him.
I think it's normal for breastfed babies to go through a fat stage at 4-6 months and then to thin out as they get older because breast milk changes as babies grow to suit their needs. The curve you see at the doctor's office was built by mostly formula fed babies (because very few american's breastfeed past 3-6 months) and so it really means little when charting a breastfed baby. Liam went from 50% at 2 weeks, to 75% at 4 months, to 25% at 1 year, to 4% at 18 months. He doesn't look too skinny, he looks pretty average, he just has thin bones and has never had formula.
ReplyDeleteNathaniel is super cute by the way! 9 months is such a fun stage, walking is just around the corner!!
Ooh, thanks for the info. I figured something like that was happening--I've read a little about the growth charts and how skewed they are toward formula fed kids.
ReplyDelete<3 <3