Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

what we do

A friend emailed me with these questions today:

How is Nathaniel doing? I knw you like to keep busy--how do you spend the day usually? Is Carl still liking work? What's next for you guys? Or is there a "purposeful" next?


Good questions! Sorry, friend, for answering on my blog instead of in a legit email! But I figure at least someone else I'm related to who reads this might wonder the same things.

Nathaniel is doing well. He's been wiggling and smiling and sticking his tongue out and cooing like a champion. His hair is something like 3 inches long now. It curls when it's wet. He is super cuddly and would probably be happy to be in my lap all day long. And all night. Forever.

Typically we spend the days just chilling together. I usually spend most of the day reading and writing, and then doing chores or cooking dinner. Baby D spends most of his time on my lap, and I read aloud to him and sing him songs as I write. We nurse a lot, still, but he spends more and more time awake and not eating, so that's exciting.

I keep some easy food in my bedroom, so I can eat while I nurse him and not have to leave the room. But usually this means that I spend the whole day in that one room, eating essentially chips and Goldfish crackers and nothing else until Carl gets home and we have dinner together. I don't mind it, but it's not very healthy and I know it.

Carl, as far as I know, still likes his job. At least he likes it enough to keep going to it every day!

And as far as what's up next... who knows. It is cheaper for me to stay home with my baby than it would be for me to go back to work, at least at what I was making before. So right now I don't have to feel too guilty about being home with this baby. Eventually I'll have to figure out another way to generate income, probably. I'll start teaching piano again soon, though, and I wonder if Deseret Book would buy some of my original hymn arrangements or something. It's worth looking into.

But right now, what's up in my immediate future is just taking care of this little boy. I think it's a "purposeful" next.

2 comments:

  1. I remember before I had kids and I wondered, what DO stay at home moms actually do all day long? Well, when I had my first, I quickly discovered that it is actually possible to spend all day taking care of a little human who likes to be held - and then there was the laundry, cleaning and cooking that all needed to be done and there was never enough time for. Amazing that the little creatures can consume your life. But the first 18 months after Oliver was born are some of the happiest memories of my life. So enjoy! By the way, ours all hated the car, too. But that does get better when you can finally turn the carseat around!

    ReplyDelete