Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

on willpower

In college I had a fantastic roommate. Actually, I had bunches of fantastic roommates, but I'm thinking of one in particular, whom I shall call L.

L was--and still is--an inspiration to me. All the time. Always.

One thing that struck me about her was her incredible willpower. She would decide to do something, and BAM. She was going to get it done. Once that decision was made, she followed through. Every time.

L was extra great because not only did she have incredible willpower, but she also encouraged me to have the same. She knew about my goals and she would invite me to come along with her, so we would both accomplish the things we wanted to. But at the time, I was too silly to realize what she was doing. In my mind, she was only able to do that stuff because she had willpower, a unique gift only given to that rare few, and I just didn't have it.

Now, I realize the truth: willpower is just another word for self-control.

And self-control is another word for self-discipline.

And what self-discipline means is that you discipline yourself.

In other words:

Willpower is a trait you develop in yourself through practice.


Now, maybe this is obvious, but it wasn't to me. I only just barely figured it out. But isn't it liberating?

It's a depressing thing, to realize that you and not your genetics are responsible for your willpower or lack thereof. But it's an empowering thing too. Because that means you can change it about yourself. If you see yourself as being weak-willed or spineless, lacking in willpower, well: good news! You can change that! You just need to practice!

Over the past few months, I've been working on developing my willpower, one workout at a time. One meal at a time. One day at a time. But I believe I have a stronger will now than I did at the beginning.

I wanted to share this because I feel like it's a potentially life-changing revelation. It is for me, anyway. In my life, there are so many things I would like to have done, and what kept me back was a lack of action that I blamed on a lack of willpower.

Now I know the truth: I have as much willpower as I want to have, and I access it with practice and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment