Reading this article makes me wonder if I am broken or something.
The article is about the song "Someone Like You" by Adele, and why it is such a tearjerker. Basically it's just got a bunch of sciencey proof behind stuff that I thought was just kind of like common knowledge. Well, not COMMON, but like, if you are trained to sing, then you would realize out of logic that duh, adding appoggiatura and emotion to a song would elicit more emotion. And people like to feel emotions when they listen to a singer. Your job as a singer is literally to elicit emotion using sound.
Anyway, apparently "Someone Like You" makes people get all emotional, except I am not one of them. Not only have I never cried during that song, I actually find that song really annoying because it is slow and lame. Personal opinion. But apparently everyone actually likes it (which explains why I can't turn on my radio without hearing it) and everyone cries over it (??).
I have always felt that as a person, I am very influenced by music. Possibly more than the average soul. Music is just in my brain. Rhythm and pitch are everywhere to me and it's hard to think without them. I am very prone to earworms, I have had numerous auditory hallucinations over the years, and there are many times where I'll just be chillin, and BAM there's a song in my head and I have to write it down. Music is really a central part of my life.
So why don't I even care about Someone Like You? Why does it just make me want to listen to something not boring, instead of making me cry?
I think it may be one of the following things, or both:
1. Musical training. I have been studying music since forever. Music theory is fun to me and I enjoy it bunches. So maybe, my more thorough understanding of music and what goes into a song could make me enjoy Someone Like You less.
Why this doesn't make sense: Even though I have that strong musical background, I can still be swept away by songs that AREN'T Someone Like You. For example, "Goodnight, My Angel" by Billy Joel can often bring me to tears.
2. The lyrics. Try as I might, I can't think of anyone not in my life anymore that I would want to find someone like, except my awesome husband. Who I am actually married to. So there's nothing in my own life that makes me able to relate.
I think this one makes more sense.
Or I guess there's a third option:
3. I am heartless.
Possible.
I would really like to see a continuation of the study explained in the article that compared the importance of musical qualities and lyrics in tear-inducing passages. Also, I would love to see a study on how relative familiarity with music theory and so forth impacts the effectiveness of tearjerking passages in music.
I, also, have never cried at "Someone Like You." And though it is a good song, I think I've liked all the other Adele songs I've heard better than that one. (Although there might have been a contributing factor there- the radio station I listen to played "Someone Like You" so many times the last few months that I had no desire to listen to it anymore.) It's just never moved me to tears. And it's not like music in general doesn't get me weepy- tons of songs make me cry. Just not that one! :)
ReplyDeleteI heard that one for the first time a week or so ago, and I started out enjoying it, but by the end of listening to it one time, I was sick of it. It just seemed so repetitive to me. No variety in the music or anything. So I'm with you on this one.
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks for finding me! I'm so excited to have found your blog now too!
ReplyDeleteThe lyrics in that song drive me crazy! Why on earth would it be a nice idea to remind someone who is over you, and has moved on with life, that for you, it isn't over? Ugh! He's married, you'd really better move on and stop trying to remind him you haven't, because you won't find someone like him if you're stuck in the past! Lol =) That's at least what I always say when I hear it, and that is probably why Shaun won't let me listen to it when it's on the radio. I do like "Rolling in the deep" though....
AH! YAY! I'm glad I'm not alone in this matter. That article made it sound like everyone in the world just was so moved by the song. Whew. <3
DeleteDon't worry, it doesn't make me feel any strong emotion either. When my friend said it made her cry the first time she heard it I was SO surprised and confused.
ReplyDeleteI CRY EVREYTIM
ReplyDelete