Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

RAIN etc

The rain it raineth all around, upon the just and unjust fella, but chiefly on the just, because the unjust stole the just's umbrella


Well, we've all been drowning in the rain here in MD. It just keeps coming. Yesterday a neighboring county got 10 inches of rain in 12 hours. If it had been snow instead of rain, it would have been 8 feet of snow.

PS, I'm typing this one-handed while cuddling this silly baby, so please excuse any weird typos.

Anyway. Yesterday I had a thought. I was watching my 4 cousins (ages 2, 5, 7, and 8-almost-9), my own 8-week-old baby, and my 25-year-old severely disabled brother, and everything was about as crazy as you can imagine. The 2-year-old wouldn't nap because he missed his mommy. The hospice nurse had to come visit James because he hasn't been doing well. The older kids bickered about what to do and watch. Nathaniel wanted to eat every 5 seconds (approximately) and when he wasn't eating the other kids were trying to play with him (...yikes).

And it was raining like crazy.

Earlier in my life, I noticed that my moods were really tied to the weather--on cloudy and rainy days, I was just down. I hated it.

But what I learned from yesterday was that the influence of the weather is nothing compared to other influences in my life. When I was working a job that I abhorred, in a black hole of incompetence, a rainy day just made everything bad worse.

But yesterday I was WAY busier and more stressed than I have ever been at any job, probably, except maybe the bakery. And the rain didn't seem like a big deal. And I wasn't really down. It was a crazy, crazy day, but it was a good day.

Anyway, this baby just fell asleep and watching him is making me too tired to remember what the point was. Here's a point, if the rain getting you down, consider that the rain might not be all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment