Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

nursing my hungry hungry hippo

So, since the first night home, Baby D has rejected all formula. This is awesome because as I have since discovered, supplementing with formula prevents your milk from coming in at the levels it needs to. And with a kid this size--we need all the milk we can get!

Normal newborns come out with stomachs the size of marbles. But mine came out with one the size of a chicken egg.

My breastfeeding chart has daily goals on it--this week, the goal has been 8 times per day or more.

Baby D averages 14 times per day.

Last night we went and visited his grandma (my mom! weird) with the intention of staying for 20 minutes. We got there and he wanted to nurse.

And nurse.

And nurse.

For an hour and a half straight with one five-minute grandma break.

This past hour has been the same (hi one handed typing!!). He is my hungry hippo! But there is a nice trade-off: he sleeps for hours and hours at a time, Last night we got from midnight to 4, then from 5 to 6, then from 8 to 11, with feedings in between. Not bad!

But yeah. When our pediatrician heard I was feeding him 15 times a day, he flipped and told me in no uncertain terms that I should ONLY feed him for 15 minutes at a time, and that EXACTLY every hour and a half, and no more frequently than that, ever.

I don't love our pediatrician.

5 comments:

  1. Tell your pediatrician...I dont like him!
    Breastfeed with pride and give that baby all the love you have!
    I breastfeed danny for 14 months...(yeah a lot) he hated bottles so i did all the work and it was worth every minute....i got all the hugs and love. but i wish he would have done the bottle to give me a break and also let dan have a chance...but i dont regret it one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefy I love you!! <3 <3

    Yeah--it's been kind of hard so far (so sore!!) but I just tell myself, in a month or two he'll be able to hold his own head up, and it will just get easier from there. I CAN DO THIS! AH!

    I'll let my pediatrician know... ha, hopefully by finding a better pediatrician!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should ask!! My aunt from Omaha just got here like an hour ago and she brought one for us. I just tried it out and it is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete