Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

patience

The past few days have been an exercise in patience.

[Still no baby.]

Two days ago, I felt that I should concentrate my scripture study on the book of Ecclesiastes, which I haven't read/studied in a while. Over the past two days, I've been looking at it, and I didn't really see why it was so important to study at first.

Today, I studied over breakfast. I'd been reading the book all the way through, and I finally was at Ecclesiastes 11. This is the text of Ecclesiastes 11:5:

As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.


I'm pretty sure that verse is why I needed to read Ecclesiastes again.

It kind of reminds me of this sentiment from 1 Nephi, which I have always loved:

And he said unto me: Knowest thou the condescension of God?

And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.


Two weeks ago today Carl gave me a priesthood blessing for the birth and it counseled me to be patient. Waiting has been pretty lame (obviously). But the experience is teaching me to turn more readily to the scriptures for answers--and to trust that even though I don't know the meaning of all things, I know that God loves His children, and He doesn't make mistakes. This silly baby will be born when he's ready. I know God's watching out for him, and for me. This is all for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment