Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

baby shower!

On Saturday, some darling dear friends threw me a surprise baby shower. It was awesome!

I was very impressed that they managed to keep it a secret. In retrospect, I really should have known, but I just didn't catch on. I was told that it was a Young Women's Board meeting for church--something that didn't make a lot of sense to me, since half of the board is moving out by July and we'll need to reorganize basically any second now. But I didn't question it.

I was running a little late for the "meeting," and the YW President called to see where I was. It was five minutes before the meeting was set to start, and I could hear people talking in the background. "Man, everyone is so much more punctual than I am," I thought, as I assured the YWP that I would be there ASAP.

Then I got there, walked in, noticed that there were no shoes by the door, and that there was a table full of refreshments in the dining room, and got confused, and then noticed that all these people were in the other room--people who were not on the board. I think they yelled "SURPRISE!" at that point, which was probably the thing that tipped me off to what was going on. I was very surprised!

The Beehives (the girls aged 12-13) sponsored a game where everyone got a ring to wear. If you said the word "baby" you lost your ring.

Of course, my BFF Christina started saying some alternatives we could use: infant, newborn.

"Rock on, baby!" I said, and promptly lost my ring, despite the use of the word "baby" in a completely different context.

The MIA Maids (ages 14-15) sponsored a game where we looked at unlabeled baby food and had to guess the flavors. There was mashed pear, banana, sweet potato, carrot, and more. There were a whole lot of orange things. Who knew so many foods mash up to be orange?

Then the Laurels (ages 16-17) sponsored a game where we made baby slings for teddy bears out of toilet paper. It was fun!

And then we did presents. Everyone was so generous. Baby Doozit is basically the luckiest kid ever. We got some CUTE little outfits, a bunch of blankets (including one gorgeous handmade blanket), a very cute diaper cake that I need to take a picture of because it is so much better looking than another other cake I can find online, and various other practical baby items, many of which I had not realized I would need.

I guess technically you don't NEED a rubber ducky that changes color if the water's too hot, but hey! It sure is helpful to have one!

It was pretty much fantastic. I am so grateful to have such amazing friends at church. Baby Doozit is grateful too!

No comments:

Post a Comment