Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

a july baby after all; also, earworm

Since it is 8:42 pm on the last day of June and I have not yet gone into labor, I will go out on a limb and declare that Baby D will be a July baby after all.

The midwife today took FOREVER. My appointment was at 2, but I didn't get to see her until 3. And when we finally got back to the car, it was 3:45.

At that time, she pronounced Baby D as having dropped (hooray!!), and we did a cervical exam. At that time, I was dilated to a two. She offered to strip my membranes (and I let her). It was the weirdest feeling. It didn't hurt, but it just felt so weird all I could do was laugh and laugh. I think it really shook her, metaphorically speaking, because she kept looking so bemused every time I would laugh.

Anyway, that was weird, and I'm glad it's over.

I have gotten an average of 3 hours of sleep every night for the past few days. A total of 9 hours of sleep since Monday. I feel pretty functional, but sometimes (like now!) the fatigue really sets in, and I realize I would love to sleep--except Baby D is positioned in such a way that the only way I can sleep now is with his feet digging into the bed (yes, through my skin, and it is distracting and uncomfortable). Also all that relaxin stuff makes my body do dumb things every time I lay down (like go numb, etc).

So I would say I am ready for this kid to be born. 7/1/11 would not be a bad birthdate.

Wow, writing about being tired made me like 67 zillion times more tired than I was when I sat down to write this.

Anyway, other dumb story for the day--yesterday, like 4 people called my phone. As an aside, I hate phones a lot. But anyway, all these people called, and as a result, I developed an earworm of my ringtone.

This was awful because my ringtone wasn't a song or something: it was just buzzes and dings. Also, my earworms are not like other people's earworms, I'm pretty sure, because I have strong relative pitch (not quite perfect pitch, but I'm usually within a tone), and also I have auditory hallucinations, and have had them at least since I was four years old, which is my first memory of hearing music that wasn't there.

Let's just say, my earworms are intense.

And so for the past... 35 hours? I have literally heard my phone going off constantly. Without a break. In fact, I can hear it right now. I changed the ringtone on it so I would stop tearing apart the house and my purse for the stupid thing. Ugh.

Oh my gosh. What if I go into labor with that stupid ringtone distracting me the whole time?!!?

AH!

Okay, off to my guitar--I have discovered that when I'm actively involved with other music, my brain stops playing the stupid ringtone for a while. If you run out of things to pray for, you can feel free to pray for Baby D to decide to be born already, and also for my dumb brain to quit it with the ringtone already.

No comments:

Post a Comment