Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

synchronicity, pregnancy, and my two slings

Okay, I've been meaning to blog about my two slings for a while, and since I'm trapped in the living with Phineas, Ferb, and my brother for at least the next 2.5 hours, I might as well write about them now.

It all starts with the idea of synchronicity.

I was introduced to the formal concept of synchronicity last July, while I was on vacation with Carl's family in California. I had [unbeknownst to me] developed GPC, and was unable to wear my contact lenses. We went to the eye doctor in CA to buy me glasses, since I hadn't brought glasses with me and on top of that, my old glasses were several years behind my current prescription.*

While we were waiting for the glasses to be made, we went next door to a Borders. This was way more fun for Carl and his brother, on account of that they could actually see. Being almost blind, I just kind of felt my way around the bookstore and tried to find a section that was a) interesting and b) empty, so I could get up within 4 inches of the shelves to read the titles of everything.

I don't remember what section I ended up in, only that as I was looking for a book to read it felt like one in particular jumped out at me. It was just easier to see, for some reason. It was called The Seven Secrets of Synchronicity, and I nearly read the whole thing at the bookstore. When we left, I decided I just had to have it. So I bit the bullet and bought it on the way back to the eye doctor.

From that synchronicitous experience, I have witnessed countless examples of synchronicity in my life--but never so much as when I found out I was pregnant.

The first thing that made me suspect I was probably with child was a Fast Sunday. We were having a family fast for my brother, and I felt compelled to participate, but the idea of fasting made me almost faint. Just the thought of not eating made me ill. So I opted out of the fast and just ate all day long.

And I thought to myself, I am not the sort of girl who doesn't fast and then eats all day long.

I must be PREGNANT!

And then it was another week or two until we finally got around to getting a pregnancy test. Obviously it was positive. Ha, it was very positive. The test was supposed to take 2 minutes, but it actually only took 2 seconds. No doubt there, I guess.

We found out on a Monday morning before I left for work--so at about 6:15 am. We took the test, found out, and I ran to my car to get to work on time. And when I got into my car, the radio turned on to: "Are you pregnant? Are you--"

And I switched the channel because it was weird.

Between the time I left for work at 6:30 and the time I actually got to work, at 7:30, like 3 other experiences happened like that. I wrote them down in a journal that I've misplaced, but suffice it to say that I kept on overhearing loud conversations about pregnancy, and seeing ads for baby stuff, and so on. It was very strange. And when I got to work, and checked my email, lo and behold, there was an email from my Jillian Michaels email list, offering me a free baby carrier.

So I took the hint and ordered two of them. They weren't super free, since I still had to pay $15 shipping per, but that's still way cheaper than getting one at $39. [I got the purple and the green ones here.]

Anyway. And then for the whole rest of the week, every time I turned on the radio, every time I turned on the TV, every time I did ANYTHING [it felt like] pregnancy came up. It was crazy. You could argue that the TV/radio/general world always does that, and I only ever noticed it that week, and maybe it's true. Maybe every time I turn on a TV at any time, ads for formula and reports on infant health come on.

But I haven't noticed it since. After that week, it all calmed down. That is, until a few days ago when I randomly found that Fetal Origins book (in a similar way to how I found the synchronicity book, actually), and then when I got into my car the radio turned on to a report on the effect of BPA on fetuses/infants, and now everywhere I turn there are things on fetal origins. So weird.

Anyway. So that is the story of the synchronicitous way in which I got my first 2 baby slings--mixed with a whole bunch of tangent. The end!



*Incidentally, the GPC infection is why I have gone from never wearing glasses to never wearing contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment