Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

an answered prayer!

I wanted to share this story with you guys.

As you know, my FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR is today--Tax Day! Typically it's the 15th, but due to stupid government things, it's the 18th of April this year.

Of course Carl and I put off doing our taxes, so on Thursday I decided I needed to get my act together and get all my forms in order.

I distinctly remembered gathering them all together to put them in my tax binder. But when I found my tax binder, it only had 2 of the... 6? 8? forms that we needed.

I freaked out.

I spent Thursday night looking. Friday night Carl and I went to see Atlas Shrugged (more on that later), and then I was up until midnight on Saturday looking. I tore everything apart.

Every few minutes during my searches I would offer up another prayer, because the power of prayer has always helped me find random stuff in the past. And each time I would say "amen," think of a new place to look, feel so confident I would find the dang forms, and then AH! They weren't there! But I kept on thinking of that scripture, "seek and ye shall find."

It was at midnight on Saturday that I remembered another scripture: "Be still and know that I am God." So I decided to take Him up on that. I got on my knees and I just laid it all out on the table. I said, "Heavenly Father, I need those tax forms and I have looked all over for them. I can't even think of another place to look. Send me those forms. Instead of having me look for them, bring them to me."

And then I just went to sleep.

Next day there was church, and then I had 4 hours between church and Ward Choir, and in between I had to practice practice practice my piano-violin duet I wrote for me and my friend to perform next week for Easter. At 5:30, Carl and I had a date with Turbo Tax and the hour was swiftly approaching.

And then, while I was practicing with my violinist friend, Carl came into the piano room with his arms full of forms. He had literally brought me the forms I prayed for.

It was really an amazing moment. I've been reveling in gratitude and awe ever since. Carl ended up finding them in a pile of junk in my handicapped brother's bedroom, which is basically a magnet for random things. I hadn't even thought to look there at all.

It was just crazy to me how I had specifically asked my forms to be brought to me, even knowing that it sounded silly at the time--but then my prayer was answered so literally, and just in the nick of time.

Prayer--specific prayer--works, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment