Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

doctor stuff

So I've been putting off scheduling all my tests for over a week now. Not intentionally, really; I just keep forgetting to do it until, oh, 5:15 pm every day when I can't schedule anything. I finish feeding James and then I remember, oh! James is not the only person here with medical issues! But by then it's too late, and I just tell myself to do it "tomorrow."

Well, tomorrow is today, because today I woke up and said DANG IT I AM GOING TO SCHEDULE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

And then, funnily enough, turns out that of the 4 or 5 tests I need to get done, they are ALL walk in, except for one. So I scheduled that for this coming Tuesday and I guess I'll spend the rest of my time that day going to everything else.

I have to go to a blood lab, the hospital, and a radiology center for a total of, I think, 4 tests and possibly 1 shot (depending on the Rh thing). I read last night that 85% of the population is Rh positive. I guess that makes sense. But I'm a little bummed that I am negative.

In other news, my mother lent me a book called The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie and it is AWESOME. She told me when she read it that the heroine reminded her of me, and now I realize how thoroughly a compliment that was. It is a good thing for the world, however, that my particular passions do not run to poisons. It is an even better thing for the world that I was not obsessed with poison when I was 11.

2 comments:

  1. This site explains it. Basically, since I am Rh negative, and Carl is Rh positive, the baby could be positive. If it is positive, when our blood mixes at birth, my body will create antibodies to the positive Rh protein. If I'm not treated, my body would then attack future Rh positive babies as infections and possibly kill them.

    Rh factor is actually why primogeniture as a concept began--because the first child is the only one that a family could be sure was normal. Future kids could be attacked by a mother's body as infections due to Rh problems--the more kids a mom has, if she is Rh neg, the weirder they get. Unless the mom is treated.

    ReplyDelete