Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

an unexpected kindness

I didn't get to properly acknowledge this random guy in person, so I have to acknowledge him here, where he will probably never see it.

Today I stayed late at work, and met my husband at my Metro stop to ride home with him. We got on a crowded train, and I beelined for an open seat, and this random other guy got there right before I did. It was a sad moment because my back was killin.

But right then, another guy got up. He'd been sitting next to the wall, so he had to maneuver to get out of his seat. But he did, and offered the spot to me.

I was really touched by that. It's not super often that people are so considerate on the Metro--obviously, since that first guy totally was like "I'm gonna beat the pregnant lady to that open seat!!!!" Anyway, I thanked the guy who stood for me several times, but I know those words alone can't really convey my gratitude. It really meant a lot to me.

I wish that guy could know what a difference he made in my day.

It really makes me wonder how many other tiny acts of kindness are like that: small on the outside, but deeply meaningful to the recipients of said acts.

Like this one time, I was at Union Station, and as I walked past, a woman spilled her purse on the ground. It was the lunchtime rush and people were everywhere, and this lady was crawling on the ground and cursing at her bad luck. I bent down and started helping her, and I thought she was going to cry. "Blessings! Oh, God bless you!" she said over and over again. She just seemed so grateful. It only took like 2 minutes out of my life, and it was 100% not a big deal just to bend down and pick things up for her, but I do think it seriously changed her whole day. I think about that time a lot.

So after that guy gave me his seat and I thanked him a few times, I decided I couldn't go wrong by doing what that woman did for me. I prayed for that guy to get some extra blessings for helping me out.

Who knows. But I sure hope his day turned out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment